Such a project as “Engaging students: STEM clubs and Citizen Science” will continue its activity because of the importance of STEM subjects all around Europe. The Inquiry-Based Methodology has had a good reception in Galicia and UK.
- During the school year 2015-2016, we have carried out two courses for the Autonomic Center for Training and Innovation (CAFI) in Galicia: “Inquiry in the classroom” and Mobile Devices in the Science Classroom”. During the school year 2016-2017, these courses will be replicated (due to teachers high demand) It is a sample of the interest that arises this methodology within formal education.Documentation
- The Leading Edge Partnership programme has valued the experience of the STEM club LEARN de Loreto Grammar School, encouraging the idea in other schools of UK. On the other hand, science clubs prove that the project will be continuing for years. Our clubs have been awarded and praised by local, national and international administrations and organizations, which generates inertia difficult to stop mid-term.
- The IES David Buján High School has modified its regulations to allow former students who are mentors for the club, to work at school with our children in a safe way.
The Science Club of Spain (XentD100cia) has become a youth association to be able to work independently: grant access, nets inclusion, Erasmus+Youth Projects access, … In addition, it has been one of the promoters of the Galician Science Clubs Net Glu-ON, which will be constituted in November 2016. This association will make possible to sign agreements with the Galician University (to regulate elective subjects or access to work with researchers), with National Parks (creating apps), with companies related to science issuing, such as Ceoaberto
- The science club LEARN, after the project “Engaging students: STEM Clubs & Citizen Science” has modified its perception of a science club and has favoured its students demands: Robotics, Engineering, Drones, coding, internet of the things.
- The science club LEARN will be financially supported by the school. This first year its funding will be totally covered by the Leading Edge Partnership programme.
- Informed Solutions Informed Solutions keeps in touch with the development of the projects at Loreto Grammar School, since it is considered “one of the top schools nationwide for Science Technology Engineering and Maths”.
- Elaine Manton and Loreto Grammar School do activities related to the promotion of STEM among women at the Teacher Training College (Manchester University)
- E. Manton will present a new way to integrate STEM education into the curriculum before education ministers in a meeting with the European Commission.
- CAFI has asked us to do a course called (Citizenship Science in the classroom” Ibercivis Foundation has shown interest in our holding citizenship science and education workshops in Spain. http://medialab-prado.es/cienciaciudadana
- The National Park of the Atlantic Islands has requested an adapted version of our apps for their alert service.
- The Environmental Protection Department of Vigo University and Divulgare (http://www.divulgare.net/canal-de-divulgacion/) have offered to collaborate in the pollinators research in Galicia and UK.
- The Citizenship Science Observatory in Spain has included our activity (Sci-challenge) in the map of citizenship science in Spain. (http://ciencia-ciudadana.es/ )ECSA (European Citizen Science Association) will include our club among the associations of citizenship science and education in Europe. (http://ecsa.citizen-science.net/) Webpage. The Erasmus+ Project “Engaging students: STEM Clubs & Citizen Science” has been the grounds for the science club and citizenship science research, that is why it has been kept as the main issue of these two new activities at IES David Buján High School. We know that the right to a domain on the internet comes with yearly expenses, therefore we have decided the science club will provide the money to keep this webpage through the years.
- Relationships between the schools. After the project, the two schools have been closer than ever and their administrators have coordinated to make prospective students exchanges possible in a near future.